Last month, we introduced you to the 10 finalists for the BendBroadband Early Stage Award, a $15,000 cash prize that will go to a fledgling local business during the 2015 Bend Venture Conference, Oct. 15-16 at Bend’s Tower Theatre.
And last week, a standing-room-only Pub Talk crowd at McMenamins Old St. Francis School pared the field from 10 to five after hearing three-minute pitches from each of the finalists. After their presentations, each finalist also took questions from the audience, which filled two rooms at the popular Bond Street pub.
After the votes were counted, five companies moved on to the BVC:
- Airfit, which wants to place gym and shower facilities behind security in airports.
- Outdoor Logic Solutions, which wants to ease the removal of ski boots with its DeBooter
- QuakeWarn, which is developing software to detect earthquakes and warn subscribers
- Radventure, a peer-to-peer marketplace connecting adventure travelers and local outdoor experts
- SnoPlanks, a manufacturer of high-end bamboo snowboards and skis
Next week, we’ll have video interviews with each of the five finalists here on the BendBroadband Business blog, so be sure to come back and check them out!